Friday, April 29, 2011

Greek n' Stuff Latin Edition "Latin is not so Tough"


This is a very well researched, well laid out program. It is easy to follow and very adaptable. I used it with my 3rd and 5th grader. The first 2 lessons are a review of Book 1. Lesson 3 reviews diphthongs, Lesson 4 is consonants. The Lesson 5-17 introduces new vocabulary. I really enjoyed using the program. I suppose the major pros of Latin is not so Tough is that it really takes very little time to do, and it is relatively inexpensive. Also, one can work pretty much independently. There isn't much instruction required. I do feel that memorization and drill are needed for the vocabulary instruction. I think for our introduction into Latin it was a good fit because my children are young and I just wanted a small taste of it for them. It has peaked their interest and I think we will do great when we get into more serious Latin study. The only complaint is with myself. I really had a hard time using it consistently. With my 3rd grader we were concentrating on her multiplication tables. With my 5th grader we are working on geometry.
 So... the only suggestions I can make are more consistency from Mom.
The Greek n' Stuff  Company offers a complete line of six levels of Latin Instructional Texts and other language aids.

Latin Level 2 can be purchased individually: student workbook $18.95, Answer Key $4.00 (answers only), Pronunciation CD $10.00, short set $36.45 , complete set $51.40.

Level 2 focuses on a review of the Latin alphabet, diphthongs and special consonant sounds that are introduced in Level 2. The target for this level is early elementary (6-7 years). The key to success with this program is use of the flashcards. Tips for use of the flashcard are located in the back of the workbook.

http://www.greeknstuff.com/latin.html


Greek n Stuff
PO Box 882
Moline, IL 61226-0882
309-796-2707

Any products reviewed by me as a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew have been given to me free of charge in order for me to provide you with an honest review of the product and/or how I used the product within my family. I do not receive any other form of compensation for the reviews posted on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment